Friday, March 9, 2012

Palomino Valley: 1800 Horses


“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”~ Ghandi

I was completely captivated by a pen of burros when I visited the Palomino Valley BLM Wild Horse and Burro Holding Facility north of Reno, Nevada last week. While the handling of the wild horses by the BLM is a controversial one it also reminded me of the fact that approximately 45,000 mustangs and burros are currently in short and long term holding facilities in the US. Like it or not if we love these wonderful creatures we need to stop bickering and fighting amongst ourselves and complaining about the BLM and make an effort to work together to do what is best for the horses. A good place to start is considering adoption. I will have room in my barn for a burro or two the next time there is an adoption event in my region! View more of my images from my visit to this facility here.
I will be sharing more photos from various wild horse ranges as well as sanctuaries shortly, please check back.

“I am a drinker of the wind
I am the one who never tires
I love my freedom more than all these things.
The Conquistador, Comanche and the cowboy
I carried them to glory
I am La Primera, Spanish mustang
hear my story”
~ Ian Tyson

No comments: