Sunday, June 30, 2013

Spring Travels and Adventures

The month of May flew by in a whirlwind of epic shoots and fun adventures and travel with friends. In early May the annual EPNet workshop at the Sombrero Ranch in Craig Colorado followed by the Great American Horse Drive did not disappoint! Although we missed Ed Pinkard and daughter Sara as well as Kansas this year, head wrangler Chuck Hummel did a great job of running our shoots for us with the help of Alex and Jessie, Christy, Terry, Johnny and all the rest of the amazing cowboys and cowgirls! The light and weather were great, the horses fresh and the photographers ready for fun and fellowship. Year after year this is the week many of us live for and any other shoot pales in comparison. In addition, having Nikon rep Mark Kettenhofen join us with the latest and greatest Nikon gear is an added treat, and I was lucky to test the new 80-400 Nikkor lens which I now have added to my bag and have been using quite a bit. The drive was fast and furious this year with a near stampede for the first five miles making for lots of adrenaline charged photo ops! The new horses in the herd did not know that the drive is done at a walk and trot and were ready to do it at a full gallop, and took some hard riding on the wranglers' part to get them slowed down. All my photos from my trip to Colorado may be seen at this link, including a visit to the Sandwash wild horse range. 

 After a short visit home I was off again, this time to Europe. I spent a very lovely (although rainy) few days with my Aunt in Brussels recovering from jet lag before I flew on to the Camargue region of France to join a group of friends to photograph the white horses indigenous to the region. This was a long dreamed of trip that proved to exceed my expectations! We photographed horses in the marshes, in ponds, on the beach and in the sea and also visited local stables and equestrian centers. The horse and gypsy culture is strong and alive in this part of the world and very exciting to see and photograph. What can be more fun and exciting than a group of white horses running through the water? See my images at this link.

This spring I also attended the NC PAHA Arabian show in Pennsylvania and spent some time traveling in the Big Valley in Pennsylvania. It is wonderful to see the Amish still farming with horses and all the farms are so picturesque and pristine, it is always a treat for me to travel in this part of the world.

I will be staying closer to home for a while and in July I will once again be leading an online course, The Basics of Equine Photography. This is a very popular and intensive five week course that will cover all the elements of creating good equine images, I will share lots of tips and tricks and maybe even a few secrets, and will provide lots of feedback on photos the students take as well as address any questions or issues you may have. I hope you will join me for this course as we explore the world of equine photography together!

In the meantime please do not hesitate to send me an email if you have a shoot in mind or have horses you need some extra special images of. My travels will bring me all over the northeast and beyond this year and would love to meet up with you and your horses!




No comments: